Friday, June 19, 2009

Faithful through the Hissy Fits


Have you ever reached that point where you think that if you just don't know what God has in store for you then you just might die(or at least crawl into a corner and hide)? I reached that feeling a few weeks ago and decided that I'd had about enough and I told God exactly that.
My conversation with God went a little something like this...
"God, I have absolutely NO idea what you think you are doing, but I'm throwing in the hat!
I'm tired and I'm frustrated and I really wish you'd let me in on your 'little secrets' or whatever you think it is that you are hiding from me."
Now, at this point you are either laughing hysterically or you are shaking your head in shame. I am hoping for the first but whichever way you choose to feel I am assured that God can handle my hissy fits.
I have a very vivid memory of my brother when he was about 2 or 3 years old. He was sitting on the floor outside his room throwing toys and screaming at the top of his lungs. I remember standing in the hallway looking at him and then turning to my parents as they sat in front of the TV completely ignoring him. I was in disbelief that nothing was being done to stifle this irrate child, so I decided I would laugh at him. Note: I think I may have received a toy square in the forehead sometime around then.
I wonder if sometimes God laughs at us as we sit and throw our toys and say mean words to him. I wonder if sometimes he simply listens without any intent of replying simply to let us get whatever weight we are holding off our chests.
After a while I can almost hear him now. "Are you about done yet Margaret? I have something to tell you."
Today I received two emails with offers to work in two very different parts of Africa; both of which I would be honoured to serve. Boy do I feel silly now...
Now I've been thrown into another whirlwind time of decisions and contemplation. Would I have it any other way?
Not a chance!

1 comment:

  1. praise God for his timing :) I love when he reveals his "secrets" at his timing and not ours. It really grows my trust in him after i've had my own "hissy fit" :)

    ReplyDelete