Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Teaching Friend

I spent the past two weeks in Toronto attending a cross-cultural training. Although much of what was taught had already been learned, I took away from the experience deep and lasting friendships; One person in particular I wrote a journal entry on. This is what I wrote.
"I've identified one person in particular, and for the purposes of privacy I'll call him Joe, as a man I can relate to and that has already contributed greatly to my time here.
To describe him isn't difficult in appearances. He is tall, jolly and full of laughter. He has dancing blue eyes and will speak about 2 inches away from your face in conversation. I wouldn't change a thing about him. He speaks simple English with no attempt to embellish or elabourate his words yet he speaks with confidence and wisedom I've experience in few people.
On the second day of the orientation we split into two different groups and I happened to be in Joe's. We had spent about an hour drawing a story line of our lives and experiences to explain how we got to this point in our lives. In our groups we were to share with one another our 'stories'.
Joe told a bold and moving story of how he had wandered for 40 years of his life away from God and experienced pain I cannot imagine during his life. He's spent the last few years of his life in prison ministry and more than once I was moved to tears by the size of his heart. This big man showed no shame in shedding tears of both joy and sorrow. I was so encouraged and thankful for him.
After I had shared my story Joe was the first person to come up to me and thank me, simply for being who I am. He encouraged and strengthened me through his kind yet simple words. We've already had some lovely talks about God and life and I know that this is the beginning of a great friendship. He has taught me so much already.
The word that resonates best when I think of Joe is devout. There is nothing that causes him to falter in his faith. He does not try to make himself look important nor does he care what others think of him. He simply delights in his Lord. He delights in moments spent and prayers sent. His love comes from the never ending source that will never die.
Through these observations of Joe's faith he completely and totally convicted me. You see, for a long time I've been told that I am somehow a leader. This fact began to worry me. 'What if I am not smart enough? What if I can't be what people need me to be?' I began to seek out biblical knowledge for the purpose of being able to answer people's needs and not for the sole reason of desiring to know God more intimately. This choice I made actually forced me into a greater ignorance of who God really is.
I'd forgotten that God is jealous and wants me to revel and delight in him alone. He deserves a service that is for his benefit and not my own.
Joe has saved me from a great deal of hardship in many ways. Had I not learned this important fact I would have likely suffered great disappointment and loneliness.
Joe said to me 'the longest journey a person ever takes is the distance from his head to his heart.' This is innately true for me. I'd lost the connection between my head knowledge and my true heart's desire to seek out more of God solely for the purpose of knowing him alone.
Praise God for Joe. He showed me how a seemingly uncomplicated man can have such a great impact simply because he delights in his Lord."

2 comments:

  1. I miss him! what a wonderful description of such a wonderful man -- he definitely changed my life forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful description of such a wonderful man - I miss him; he has changed my life forever. What a gift from God, for all of us - I am excited for all the people he is serving and all the people he meets...XOXO

    ReplyDelete