Sunday, January 3, 2010

On Identity

This Monday will be the fifth week I have been living in Kenya. In the grand scheme of things that really isn’t a long time and it hasn’t felt like it. Now, things are much different. Last week Rick Allen, the other Presbyterian Missionary came to visit and took me to a hotel where we had lunch. When we walked into the dining room I immediately felt out of place but not for the reasons you would think. I felt out of place because I was surrounded by a room full of mzungus! It was the most absurd feeling being out of place in what used to be normal. Now, I am not used to seeing mzungus and I often have the same reaction has what I received when I first got here. I want to know who they are and where they came from. Haha!
When I first arrived in Nyeri I felt very out of place. It is a small town where few mzungus(Kiswahili term for a white person) pass through ad even fewer stay. It was very uncomfortable constantly being stared at and approached whether it was for money or attention. I sought out the solitude of my room when I came home each night for some time just to be alone and it began to wear on me. I realized recently why I was so uneasy; it was not due to the stares- I could deal with that since I rationalized that, to them I was so different- but it was my identity to those surrounding me that had changed. I was no longer Margaret. To them I was just another mzungu to stare at and ask for money; another rich person whose only value was to give them donations.
You know when you are in your own element that there are things that are always associated with you. For example, when someone would try to describe me they often say ‘that tall girl…etc”. Here in Africa it was a new set of associations that I had to adapt to. Not only am I tall girl, but I am the girl who wears glasses, funny clothes, has different hair, has dirty shoes all the time and can only speak a few words of Swahili and Kikuyu. Sometimes when I am in a conversation with someone I have to hold my tongue for I am afraid I will respond rather harshly. Often people will ask me for money to sponsor their child for school or to buy them clothes. If the situation is right and it seems appropriate I will often answer “Don’t assume that all mzungus have money.” They will ask if I have money and I will tell them that most of my money I am making is going to my student loans and they are always surprised. People often ask if Canada has problems with homelessness, drugs and violence. When I tell them yes they can never understand why a country with so much wealth has the same problems as Africa. They pose a good question. I think the main idea that I am trying to get across to them is that people are really all the same and money shouldn’t define a difference.
As time as past here in Nyeri people have come to know my name it that is Margaret or Wanjiku. I rarely walk to or from work without someone addressing me by my name(s). They know who I am and I am getting to know who they are too. What I have really appreciated is that there is now an understanding between myself and the community that I am here as their friend and not their bank. Since that has become the unremitting notion it has led to some wonderful connections and opened up the opportunity for me to become Margaret/Wanjiku to them. Both parties are so much more interested in what we can learn from each other and it is such a wonderful place to be.
On the other hand, receiving new identities has positive sides to it as well. I am considered a sister to both Ndegwa and Grace (my host family), an auntie to 3 wonderful children in Nairobi, and a daughter to Anthony my supervisor.
The greatest lesson throughout this journey of identity has been where my true identity lies. As life changes around me I always have an identity in Christ that never changes. I never have to question that. Bwana Yesu Asufiwe!

10 comments:

  1. That is so neat the conversations you have with people, I love your boldness Margaret :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret: I just surfed by and read your latest post. Forgive me for my directness -- but the term 'mzungu' is pejorative in Kiswahili. I don't know if you've been there long enough to take that in, but I resided in Kenya and Tanzania for some time and it was not a term of endearment. I understand your larger point about identities foisted or put upon all of us, but just know that using the word mzungu is really not to be encouraged, no matter how many times you may hear it on the streets there! Keep up your good work in Kenya, I mean this comment in a positive spirit! - T. Horn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, i love the simplicity in ur words and the truth in what you have shared, u got me hooked, now am wanting to read all about ur escapades.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blogs. I'm interested to know if you are the Margaret Evans who arranged the song 'You've joined our hearts'. Many blessings.
    - Mario
    evruoccl@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mario,
    I am not the Margaret Evans who arranged that song. I wish I possessed the musical ability to do so.

    Peace,

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Margaret,
    I've been trying to connect with you - glad I found this blog!!!
    Would you be willing for me to use part of it in Glad Tidings? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Margaret,
    I'm trying this again - not sure if the last one worked - now I'm an official follower of you!
    In case the other message never emerges out of the cyber-black-hole it seems to have disappeared into, I was saying that I would love to use part of your blog in Glad Tidings. Please let me know if this will be OK/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel free Heather. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again,
    I have sent other e-mail messages to you at a gmail address - do they get through? I'm wondering if there is any way to get a picture to accompany your blog?
    I dont' know if I can give you an e-mail address this way, but if you send something to Gladys, she can get it to me. Hope to hear soon!
    Take care!!! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Margaret,
    I tried to send something on Monday, but it looks like it didn't get through. Can you tell me how I can get a picture of you in Kenya to use in Glad Tidings?

    ReplyDelete